Residence permits in Turkey for Libyans: types, conditions, and how to obtain
Your guide to learn about the types of residence permits in Turkey for Libyans, including tourist, family, real estate, and permanent residence, in addition to work residence. Read about the conditions and the required documents
Table of Contents
- Are residence permits in Turkey available for Libyans?
- What are the types of residence permits in Turkey for Libyans?
- 1. Tourist residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
- 2. Permanent residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
- 3. Real estate residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
- 4. Work permit in Turkey for Libyans
- 5. Family residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
- 6. Student residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
- After the recent laws, has it become difficult for Libyans to obtain residence permits?
- What are the best and most secure types of residence permits in Turkey for Libyans?
Are residence permits in Turkey available for Libyans?
There are no accurate statistics on the number of Libyans in Turkey until the date of writing this article, but some media outlets estimate their numbers at about 35,000 Libyan citizens, and they may be more than that or close to this number, especially with the significant increase in the influx of Libyans to Turkey in recent years.
From a legal point of view, the agreements concluded between Turkey and Libya allow Libyans to enter Turkey through one of its crossings through an electronic visa that is easy to obtain upon arrival in Turkey, without the need to submit a visa application in advance.
Under the e-Visa, Libyans may reside in Turkey for 30 days from the date of arrival, which is usually recorded on the visa sign. Libyan citizens under the age of 16, or over 55, can also stay in Turkey for up to 90 days without a visa.
Then, the residency period can be extended by applying for a tourist residency application, with the possibility of annual renewal, or one of the other forms of residency, such as real estate residency, investor, or student residency.
What are the types of residence permits in Turkey for Libyans?
Like other foreigners of other nationalities; a Libyan citizen wishing to stay in Turkey can benefit from one of the types of legal residence permits that Turkey offers to residents on its lands, which include:
1. Tourist residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
Tourist residence permits in Turkey give Libyans and others the right to reside with the ability to travel and return, and benefit from several other advantages, such as opening a bank account or organizing financial and procedural transactions.
Advantages of tourist residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
Among the most important advantages of a tourist residence permit for Libyans are:
- Freedom of movement in the country, and residence within any part of the Turkish territory.
- The ability to travel to and leave Turkey at any time during its validity period, without the need to obtain an electronic visa, as is usually the case.
- A Libyan who holds a tourist residence permit in Turkey has the right to open a bank account in all Turkish or international banks operating on its territory.
- The ability to open and register electricity, gas, water, and internet bills.
- The holder of a Libyan tourist residence permit is allowed to own real estate in all its forms.
- Buying and owning a private car, and obtaining a Turkish driving license.
- The right to free education in all public schools or universities.
- A tourist residence permit facilitates its holder the possibility of obtaining a Schengen visa to the countries of the European Union.
- A tourist residence permit allows its holder to establish a private company.
- Possibility to apply for a work permit in Turkey, which is the same as a residence, but with more advantages.
Conditions for obtaining tourist residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
The conditions are:
- Entering Turkey through one of its regular border crossings.
- Booking an appointment at the Immigration Department within the state from which the person wishes to obtain residency.
- Providing a valid passport for a sufficient period to grant residency based on it.
- Submitting all required documents or that can be requested later.
Documents required for a tourist residence permit in Turkey for Libyans
The documents required to obtain a tourist residence for Libyans in Turkey are determined by:
- The residence application form is filled out and signed by the applicant.
- For minor children, a copy of the family book must be submitted or the family record translated and certified by the notary, and the parents or guardian sign the application on behalf of the minor child.
- A copy of the rental contract, certified by the notary, of the property he inhabits, to prove the place of residence.
- Original passport with a sufficient validity period.
- Translating the passport into Turkish and attesting it by the notary.
- 4 recent (biometric) personal photos.
- Tax number (vergi numarası), which you can obtain from the tax department.
- A copy of the receipt of payment of the financial fees for the application.
- Health insurance (Sigorta), from one of the Turkish insurance companies, the value of which varies according to the age of the applicant.
2. Permanent residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
A permanent residence permit in Turkey is granted with the approval of the Ministry of the Interior to every foreigner residing on Turkish territory for eight consecutive years.
Advantages of permanent residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
Among the most important features of permanent residence permits for Libyans in Turkey:
- The validity of permanent residence in Turkey is open indefinitely.
- Nor does the holder of permanent residence demand the mandatory service due to Turkish citizens, due to lack of real and full citizenship status.
- The holder of a permanent residence permit has the right to benefit from most of the rights granted to a Turkish citizen, except for the main rights such as candidacy, election, and application for public office.
Conditions for permanent residence in Turkey for Libyans
For a permanent residence permit, certain conditions must be met such as:
- The applicant has not received social assistance during the last three years.
- That the applicant's financial income is sufficient to secure his livelihood and that of his family.
- Availability of valid health insurance.
- That the applicant does not pose a threat to public order and security in the country.
It is noteworthy that a permanent residence permit is not granted to refugees or persons with subsidiary protection or humanitarian residence, nor to those who have been granted temporary protection.
Documents required for a permanent residence permit in Turkey for Libyans
The documents required to apply for permanent residence in Turkey for Libyans are:
- A permanent residence permit application form must be filled out and signed by the applicant.
- The original passport.
- Previous residence permit.
- Two recent personal photos (biometric photos).
- A document showing that the applicant has not received any social assistance from foundations and NGOs during the last three years.
- A statement stating that the financial resources are sufficient and permanent during the period of stay in Turkey.
- Not judged document
- Health insurance (Sigorta) from one of the Turkish insurance companies.
- Proof of residential address.
The application for this residence permit is submitted to the Directorate General of Migration Management, like other residence permits.
3. Real estate residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
A real estate residence permit in Turkey is a short-term and renewable residency document, issued by the immigration departments in the Turkish states, and allows the holder the right to benefit from the right to learn, medical, and legally live in Turkey.
A real estate residence permit is granted to a foreign person when owning a property in Turkey, and the owner of the property is attached to his wife and children who are under the age of 18.
Advantages of real estate residence in Turkey for Libyans
Among the most important advantages of real estate residence permits for Libyans in Turkey:
- The right to reside within the Turkish territory legally and freedom of movement between the states.
- Each member of the property owner's family (wife and children under 18 years old) benefits from regular residence rights, but they are granted a tourist residence.
- Ease of renewing the real estate residence permit compared to others.
- Benefit from educational services in Turkish schools and universities.
- Take advantage of the right to free medical care in Turkish public hospitals.
- Obtaining permanent residence in Turkey after 8 years of real estate residence.
- The possibility of applying for Turkish citizenship is when the value of the property owned by the foreigner reaches $400,000.
Conditions for real estate residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
The conditions for obtaining real estate residency are:
- That the foreigner owns real estate with a value of no less than $75,000 or more in large states such as Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir, Bursa, Antalya, Gaziantep, Adana, and Mersin or $50,000 and upwards in small states.
- The property must be residential. Real estate residency is not granted based on commercial property or agricultural land.
Documents required for real estate residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
The documents required for this type of residency are specified in:
- The real estate residence application form is filled out and signed by the applicant.
- A passport is valid for a sufficient period of time to grant residence under it.
- The title deed document is registered in the name of the property owner.
- Providing an earthquake insurance document for the property, or what is known as the DASK document.
- Health insurance (Sigorta) from one of the Turkish insurance companies.
- The family book is translated into Turkish, and certified by a notary public in Turkey.
- 4 recent (biometric) personal photos.
- Proof of a fixed monthly income of at least $500 per month.
4. Work permit in Turkey for Libyans
In fact, in Turkey, there is no so-called (work residence), but in fact, it is permission to work within a legal framework, where the work permit is called in Turkish ÇALIŞMA İZNİ.
A work permit in Turkey gives its holder the right to practice his work on Turkish soil, and to reside in the country legally, with many other important advantages.
Work permits are also granted to foreigners working in legally licensed Turkish companies, and work permits in Turkey are issued by the Ministry of Labor, unlike other residence permits that are usually issued by immigration departments.
In case one of the parents obtains a work permit, the rest of the family members (husband/wife/children) are entitled to obtain a residence permit corresponding to the duration of the work residence of the accompanying person.
Advantages of work permits in Turkey for Libyans
The work permit in Turkey provides Libyans with many important features that are useful to know:
- A Libyan citizen who holds a work permit in Turkey for 5 years without interruption can apply for Turkish citizenship, provided that he does not leave Turkish territory for a period of more than 6 months.
- Applying for a Schengen visa to enter the European Union.
- Entry and exit from Turkey, and freedom of movement on its territory.
- The right to benefit from discounts in hospitals at a rate of 100% in government hospitals, and exceeding 75% in private hospitals, and this includes both (father, mother, husband, wife, and children) who hold regular residence in Turkey.
- A work permit holder in Turkey enjoys the state's full protection of workers' rights and guarantees him the guarantee of all his rights.
- Those who hold a work permit in Turkey are entitled to obtain family residence for all members of their family.
- Children have the opportunity to enroll in public schools and universities for free.
- Obtaining government financial compensation in the event of any accident during work, or after the end of the legally defined service period.
Conditions for work permits in Turkey for Libyans
Among the most important specific conditions for obtaining a work permit in Turkey for Libyans and others:
- Requirements to apply for a work permit in Turkey: having a tourist residence permit
- The Ministry of Labor requires the employment of five Turkish citizens for every foreign employee, with the exception of the company owner.
- The company's capital must be 100,000 TL or more.
- Pay all taxes incurred by the company towards the Turkish state.
- The company's commitment is to pay all social insurance incurred by the employee every month.
Documents required for work permits in Turkey for Libyans
The work permit for Libyans and others is usually submitted through the Ministry of Labor, and through the company’s chartered accountant, who in turn submits the papers to the concerned authority, without the need for the applicant to attend directly. As for the documents required to apply for a work permit in Turkey:
- A copy of the passport, valid for at least 6 months.
- A copy of a valid tourist residence permit.
- A biometric photo of the applicant.
- A copy of the academic certificate, if any, translated into Turkish and certified by the Notary Public.
- An employment contract is signed between the employer and the employee.
- The application form is to be filled in with the applicant's information.
- Some documents of the company, which the financial advisor usually prepares.
5. Family residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
It is a form of short-term residence, where a family residence permit is granted to members of the same family, provided that:
- A person who grants it from within the family, and this donor is either a Turkish citizen, as he grants residence to members of his family who do not have Turkish citizenship.
- Or a person who holds a work permit in Turkey, where this residence permit is granted to the rest of his family.
Advantages of family residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
The advantages of a family residence permit are similar to the advantages of a tourist residence, the most important of which are:
- Freedom of movement within Turkey.
- Entering and exiting Turkey during its validity period.
- Children have the right to free education.
- Enrolling all family members who obtained family residency in social security, which includes free treatment in government hospitals, and discounts in some private hospitals.
- Applying for Turkish citizenship after 3 years of marriage for a woman married to a Turkish person.
Conditions for family residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
Among the most important conditions for family residence permits for Libyans and others in Turkey:
- Having an entry stamp to Turkey on the passport (new or old stamp).
- Providing valid passports for family members.
- Availability of a residence address regularly registered in the Population Department.
- Availability of a legal marriage certificate.
- Confirmation of marriage for a Turkish citizen who wants to grant family residence to his non-Turkish wife.
Documents required for family residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
- A copy of the work permit for the person who grants the residence permit to his family, or a copy of the identity of the Turkish spouse.
- A copy of a valid passport.
- In the event of an extension request, a copy of the previous residence must be presented.
- A copy of the family book for the Turkish citizen, or a family statement for those who hold a work permit.
- Residence permit document (can be obtained from the e-Devlet application).
- A statement from the Turkish (SGK) department for those who have a work permit.
- Medical insurance covers the length of stay of the husband and wife of a Turkish citizen who does not have insurance in (SGK).
- A statement of the salary from the company in which the person holding a work permit works.
- A bank statement for a Turkish citizen.
- Non-judged document (can be obtained from the e-Devlet).
- Subsistence allowance fee.
- Visa allowance fee.
- 4 biometric photos per person.
6. Student residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
A student residence permit is granted to students who come to Turkey for the purpose of studying at a Turkish university or within its educational institutions that are affiliated with the Higher Education Council.
Advantages of student residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
A student who holds a student residence gets several advantages, the most important of which are:
- Exit and entry to Turkey and freedom to roam its territory.
- Facilitating opening a bank account in a Turkish bank.
- Benefiting from all the advantages of tourist residence.
- Students get a set of reductions in their daily expenses, which include: a transportation card, with access to museums, theaters, and others at reduced costs.
- Undergraduate and graduate students are entitled to work in Turkey for specific hours, except for university students until they complete their first year of study.
Conditions for student residence permits in Turkey for Libyans
To apply for a student residence permit in Turkey, some conditions must be met:
- Providing documents that explain the student's purpose of residence in Turkey.
- Provide a valid passport or document on their behalf of him.
Documents required for a student residence permit in Turkey for Libyans
The documents required are:
- A student document öğrenci belgesi, obtained by the student from his Turkish university.
- 4 recent (biometric) personal photos.
- The original passport and a copy of it, with the entry stamp to Turkey.
- A residence document from the district mayor, or from the administration of the regular student housing in which he resides.
- The tax number is issued by the Tax Department.
- Health insurance (Sigorta), from one of the Turkish insurance companies.
- Receipt of payment of the residence document fee.
After the recent laws, has it become difficult for Libyans to obtain residence permits?
Libyans who hold tourist residence permits still enjoy some facilities in their residency, especially after the recent amendment to not renew tourist residencies for foreigners for more than a year without a convincing reason.
As for other types of residency, they are subject to their conditions. Once the conditions are fully met, there is usually no reason to refuse them.
What are the best and most secure types of residence permits in Turkey for Libyans?
Real estate residence permits come at the top of the residency types suitable for Libyans, due to the ease of renewal as long as the condition of preserving the purchased property is met.
We also note that many Libyans seek to obtain Turkish citizenship, which gives them a Turkish passport, through real estate investment by purchasing real estate worth $400,000.
Followed by a work permit in Turkey, which is suitable for Libyans wishing to take advantage of the aforementioned multiple advantages, which also allows its holder for 5 years without interruption the eligibility to apply for Turkish citizenship.
How does Imtilak Real Estate company help Libyans obtain real estate residence permits in Turkey?
Through our long experience in the field of real estate in Turkey, Imtilak Real Estate has emerged as one of the most important leading companies in this sector, which has led us to the forefront in the field of real estate residency services that we provide through the Gars Company, which is a member of the Imtilak Investment Group family in addition to our other distinguished services related to pre-and after-ownership services.
Edited by Imtilak Real Estate ©
Learn why Turkish citizenship applications are rejected and avoid making the same mistakes. This guide helps you underst...
If you are Tunisian and have questions about working in Turkiye for Tunisians, the opportunities available to them, and...
Green Turkish passport holders are allowed to travel to many European countries without a visa. Learn about its importan...